As of January 4, 2015, Big Dog Natural of Brick, NJ announced a voluntary recall of two of its products. This was due to the fact that the FDA conducted testing and found there to be two separate issues.

An investigative sample of their product, Big Dog Natural Chicken Supreme raw dehydrated dog food was found to be contaminated with Salmonella. In addition to this, Big Dog Natural Fish Supreme tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.

These products involved in the recall were shipped to online customers during the period from October 31, 2015 through November 13, 2015. These recalled products involve.

What to Do

If you received the product in question during this time frame, discontinue use immediately. Monitor your pet’s health carefully and contact your veterinarian if there is a concern.

A full refund can be obtained by returning the product in its original packaging. Should you have any questions about the recall, contact Big Dog Natural by calling 732-785-2600 between 9 AM and 4 PM, ET.

About Salmonella and Listeria

Animals that consume Salmonella and Listeria are at risk of becoming seriously ill. In addition to this, humans can become ill from handling the contaminated product. This is of particular concern if you don’t wash your hands after handling the product, or if surfaces touched by the food have not been cleaned.

People who are otherwise healthy should monitor themselves for the following symptoms: nausea or vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. In rare cases, Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes can cause more serious conditions that include arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation and urinary tract symptoms.

If your pet has consumed a possibly contaminated food, monitor them if they appear lethargic, have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping or a fever. Some pets will only show a decrease in appetite, a fever and abdominal pain. Contact your veterinarian right away if your pet experiences these symptoms and has consumed the products in question.

Also be advised that infected but otherwise healthy pets can become carriers and infect other animals or humans.